Clinically Speaking is a blog that will allow anyone to learn about Social Work, case presentations in psychotherapy, and the relationship of pop culture in psychology. Come one...come all!!!

Friday, February 3, 2012

SuperBowl Psychology Part 1


Yes, I am huge huge New York Giants fan. Yes, if you ask my mother I cried when the Giants lost a 4pm game against the New Orleans Saints when I was in 8th grade. And yes, 4 years ago I was quoted saying: "Greatest Februrary of my life: 1-Giants won Superbowl 42, 2-Johan Santana was signed by the New York Mets, 3-I got married", Yes in the at order. And yes, last year during that infamous Giant/Eagle game I broke one of my daughters toys. This year...I almost took a running start punch at my father-in-law when he was talking too much during the Jets/Giants game I had DV-R'd and he knew the winner... Seriously huge Giants fan. Maybe too much...

Can the Superbowl give you physical or psychological ailment?


Physical Health:
Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. wrote an article entitled When Your Home Team Wins The Super-Bowl, You Live Longer about how sports, specifically the Superbowl can be detrimental to your physical health, she writes: "Researchers at the Heart Institute, Good Samarian Hospital and Keck School of Medicine at USC in Los Angeles, have found that cardiovascular emergencies such as heart attacks increase significantly during and immediately following close games." She ends the article with "Hope your team wins". Lol...Thank you!

Psychological Health:

Dr.
John M. Grohol wrote an article SuperBowl Sunday Domestic Violence & Your Health, reported: "On Super Bowl Sundays, compared to non-Super Bowl Sundays, Redelmeier & Stewart (2003) found a 41% relative increase in the average number of fatalities after the telecast on Super Bowl Sunday(in relation to behavioral problems and alcohol consumption)."

There clearly is some risk related to the Superbowl and in part 2 we will examine the positive effects of the Superbowl and psychology!


Have a great pre-Superbowl Friday!!!

YES

No comments:

Post a Comment